2022 – 10 starting
I’ve had quite the break from weeknotes — deliberately so. I love writing them, they help me reflect on the week, and I like working in the open. But — when weeknotes become a chore, and another thing on the list then it’s time for a break (and also to reflect on why the list feels so long*). My word for this year (thanks to Brigette Metzler for the inspiration) is replenish, and I’ve been doing lots of that over the past few weeks.
Starting a new job
I started my new role this week at Public Digital. Audree Fletcher who started a couple of weeks before me, wrote this excellent piece on her induction experience and it’s been my experience too. And the team I’ve joined, the health and care sector team, are brilliant — welcoming and organised, and just the right side of ‘dive right in — you’ve got this’.
5 things that happened this week
- I finished my new office just in time to start. I’ve converted a bit of the shed into a very cosy office**.
- I did a lot of reading. It’s a new sector for me with So. Many. Acronyms. The study skills I learnt on my Masters are standing me in good stead. I also researched another area of health and social care that might be a future piece of work, ahead of a meeting next week.
- I shadowed Matt and Dave on a Digital Board session and was in awe of their depth of knowledge and excellent facilitation skills. I worked with Chris on another Digital Board session and felt confident enough to contribute, which for Day 4 felt good.
- I had really good induction sessions with Diane, Deepali, Indira, Connie, Chris, Simon, Tom, Liam and Andrew. They were all welcoming, warm and incredibly knowledgable.
- The Link Work team at Hackney won Digital Leaders Public Service Innovation of the year — I am so proud of the whole team and the amazing, patient, bold and transformative work they’ve done.
What did I read/listen to this week?
This piece by Thea Snow interviewing Deidre Mulkin about her leadership was really inspiring:
"Holding lightly our authority": Queensland's Deidre Mulkerin on reforming the child protection…
Deidre Mulkerin is the Director General of the Queensland Department of Children, Youth Justice and Multicultural…
and this podcast feat. Laura Bates and her new book Fix the system, not the women was excellent: